Ways to stay healthy and active beyond the gym

Gyms have began re-opening their doors after the COVID-19 pandemic was announced in March 2020. Even with gyms open, many people have many understandable objections for going to the gym. Here are some fun ways to stay active at home!

If you are back at your university housing or staying at home this semester, it is important to keep active after a day of Zoom classes. Not everyone feels comfortable going to the gym right now, limiting peoples daily activities. 

If you live in a house, an apartment, or even a residence building there are many ways to get active at home! Here are some activities and creative ideas to get your daily thirty minutes of exercise. 

1. Walk to your destinations

Once or twice a week take a walk to grocery the store or your favourite local coffee shop. This is a great way to get some exercise and a break from schoolwork, while also supporting small businesses that may be struggling due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

2. Visit your local park 

Another easy walking activity is to visit your local park while the weather is still nice. If you are spending this semester in Waterloo check out Waterloo Park. The vast park space offers walking and bike paths, baseball diamonds, soccer fields, basketball courts, and a space to play cricket. There are also many other activities that are held at Waterloo Park.  

3. Online workout classes 

Trips to a coffee shop and walks around Waterloo Park will not always be an option once the cold weather begins, but don’t worry, there are still a great selection of activities to do inside. 

For those of you who enjoy led group workout, try checking out Zoom workout classes. There is a variety of individuals and organizations providing online workout classes. This is a great way to get back into a routine and be with others while social distancing.

4. Home workouts 

If you prefer working out alone but do not know where to start, try using free workout videos on YouTube. These are great for starting a workout routine. Remember, you do not have to follow the work out verbatim, try mixing and matching until you find your ideal routine. 

5. Take the stairs   

If you live in an apartment, try taking the stairs rather than the elevator to get some extra activity at the beginning or end of your day.  If you live in a house, you can also use your stairs for an activity, by going from the top to the bottom of the stairs multiple times (if you want, try alternating speeds for increased difficulty). 

Staying active during the ongoing pandemic has been difficult, but it is important to find little ways to remain active.