Laurier launches Inspiring Conversations webinar series

Photo by Darien Funk

A webinar series has been launched by Wilfrid Laurier University to incite conversations centered on topics related to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“Inspiring Conversations is a new speaker series that we are pleased to introduce to our alumni and to the broader community,” said Bridget McMahon, Laurier assistant vice president of alumni relations in an email statement.    

The Inspiring Conversations series started on Aug. 27 with “The Role of Games in Learning and Connecting” hosted by Julie Mueller, professor and associate dean in the faculty of education and Steve Wilcox, professor in the game design and development program.  

The session explored the ways in which parents can help their children with personal connections through video games in physically distanced environments.  

The next webinar, “New Year’s Take 2: How to Find Motivation When the Future is Uncertain” hosted by Kim Dawson, professor in the department of Kinesiology and Physical Education and Anne Wilson, a professor in the department of psychology is scheduled for Sept. 24 at 11:30 a.m.  

As workplaces and athletic facilities have been opening back up, many people may be hoping to get back into their previous or new routines.  

The ways that members of the community can maintain motivation in starting new habits, such as going to the gym and keeping up with school work, will be covered. 

On Oct. 29, “The Ways US Political Conversations Impact Canadians” webinar will take place, addressing how Canadian residents are impacted by politics in the United States.  

All of the webinars are available to the public at no cost, but registration is required to attend.  

“Through this series, we hope to provide a platform that brings profile and access to some of the exceptional research and thought leadership at Laurier and inspire learning and thought-provoking conversation on topical issues that [are] value-added for all participants,” McMahon said.