The Laurier Community Mourns the passing of Anne Innis Dagg 

Wilfrid Laurier University mourns the passing of Anne Innis Dagg, a zoologist, biologist and animal rights activist with connections to Laurier.  

Laurier has celebrated Dagg’s works with the annual Anne Innis Dagg lecture hosted by the Department of Biology. The lecture invites female Canadian animal biologists to share their work. In 2024, Dagg attended the lecture herself.  

Laurier also recently hosted the “Anne Innis Dagg Exhibit: Musings of a Scientist, Feminist, Activist.” The free exhibit, hosted on the third floor of Laurier’s Science Building until mid-March, showcased artifacts and writings produced by Dagg during her career.  

A member of the Order of Canada, honorary member of the Canadian Society of Zoologists and of the Canadian Society for Ecology and Evolution, Dagg had an impressive career.  

In 2020, Dagg started the Anne Innis Dagg Foundation to protect the planet by promoting conservation and education initiatives. On the foundation’s website, it states that the organization is dedicated to protecting giraffes alongside directing funding to “programs that raise the voices of marginalized women+ in science and education in support of Anne’s lifelong principle that people, animals and their surroundings deserve mutual respect.” The organization partners with the Wild Nature Institute and African Wildlife Foundation. 

Known for her determination, steadfast spirit and joyous laugh, Dagg will be greatly missed by those who knew and admired her.  

Dagg asks that those wishing to contribute donate to her foundation, and no funeral will take place – her ashes instead being spread in South America by her daughter.   

The loss of a member of the Laurier community has a profound impact on students and the university community. There are numerous services and supports available for those who need them: