Unsigned: Students’ responsibility to support uptown businesses

In the last few years, going to uptown Waterloo has seemed like a hassle to most students.

Whether it’s the inconsistent bus routes or lack of parking, the construction made the core of Waterloo inaccessible and unappealing.

The local businesses are now feeling the ramifications of these choices. They’re suffering, even now that the roads are open.

We’re nothing if not creatures of habit and most senior students now have the routine of going to  shopping destinations that help us to avoid uptown.

Over the last few years, we’ve written a lot about student involvement in businesses during construction, but now, it’s more important than ever to support your local businesses.

The arguments about supporting local is nothing new; we all know that supporting local business helps keep money in the local economy.

Supporting local can mean a local business owner’s child can take music classes in the community, opposed to helping a CEO buy a fifth vacation home.

We think students, as one of the largest populations in Waterloo, have a duty to make uptown a go-to destination again.

During the construction, we believe their rent has stayed consistent, despite decreased business.

Now, to prevent these local places from disappearing, we have to show how much we care.

We no longer have an excuse to not help them out where we can.

The roads are open, the weather is getting warmer and it’s barely outside of the university bubble.

There are some amazing places waiting to be explored. Our students are known for our sense of adventure, whether that’s through anything from our friendliness to our international experiences.

So why not be adventurous and friendly, exploring new places and experiences in our own backyard?