Spooky season done right in KW

Arrangement of pumpkins in a stand and on the ground
Photo by Sadiya Teeple

It’s officially Spooky Season! Time to prepare yourself for the cool weather and the bone-chilling events happening in Waterloo region this month. Kitchener-Waterloo region is making the best of fall, and you should too! Allow time in your schedule to experience the following Spooky Season activities. 

The smell of apple pie in the oven while studying is a must. Kick off your fall season with apple picking at Downey’s Apple Farm in Breslau. Downey’s offers apple picking, a corn maze and tractor rides daily from 9:30am-5:30pm.  

What is Spooky Season if you don’t carve a pumpkin? Waterloo region has many pumpkin farms waiting for you to come to pick your favourite from the patch; check out Benjamin Tree Farm, Fall Harvest Farm, or Stroms Farm!  

Oktober Fest has returned to Waterloo region this year! Check out downtown Kitchener on October 6-9 to experience the streets turn into a Bavarian Village with vendors, food entertainment and drinks. 

With Thanksgiving in mind, take some extra time to give back to your community. Participate in the Halloween Fun Run in Kitchener in support of the Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region on Oct. 15 at 11:00am. You can participate in this event by walking or running the five-kilometer route and by raising donations for sexual assault awareness. 

After your race, head to Homer Watson Museum between 4pm-10pm where you’ll feel a chill down your spine as you discover your fate by psychic, card or medium reading! 

After you’ve set the mood with these daytime activities, Snyder’s Farm is host to some spooktacular night-time events, ongoing throughout October. Snyder’s has six different terrifying outdoor haunts that make up Fear Farm Haunted House: a hay bale ride, “The Hiller House”, “The Stalking Dead”, “Hillbilly Hike”, “Carnevil” and “The Visitors”. Snyder’s also offers a campfire package that includes a s’mores kit, a pre-lit fire, chairs for 2-14 guests and food or beverages from “The Sweet & Spirits Bar”. What better way to spend a fall night with friends than at a private campfire?  

On Oct. 15, St. Jacobs Village has arranged a free pumpkin pick-up! You must bring your pumpkin home to carve and return it as a jack-o-lantern on October 28-29 from 6pm-8pm to be displayed at their Halloween market. At the return of the jack-o-lanterns, wear your Halloween costume and check out the lit-up pumpkins and evening shopping at St. Jacobs Farmers’ Market! 

If that doesn’t sound spooky enough for you, Bingemans in Kitchener will knock your socks off at Scream Park Haunted House, running October 7-9, 13-16, 20-23 and 27-30. Scream Park has six horrifying attractions: “The Lot”, “Soulless Swamp”, “Devil’s Hallows”, “The Slaughter Sled”, “Cannibal Carnival” and “The Blood Bar”.  

End your spooky season right by attending the Night of the Living Halloween Party at the Kitchener market on Oct. 29 from 7pm-10pm! Offering vendors, appetizers, a photo booth and more. At dusk, the market is devoured by the dancefloor and DJ! 19+ event only.  

For more information, check out the event websites. While October may be the month that school picks up speed, don’t be afraid to do spooky season the right way by letting yourself enjoy the fall entertainment, vendors, apple pie and screams of terror!