Golden Hawks take down Carleton Ravens in Home OpenerĀ 

Laurier Football player about to throw ball

The Laurier Golden Hawks football team remains perfect so far this season after defeating the Carleton Ravens 20-15 in their Home Opener. The Hawks entered the game after a gritty one-point win over the Queenā€™s Gaels in week one of the OUA season.  

Laurierā€™s defence started hot and finished hotter, limiting the Ravens to only 12 yards in their first two possessions before Dawson Hodge secured the rouge point to put the Hawks up by one. Later in the first quarter, the Hawks forced Carleton into a loss of 20 yards, leading to a safety and two more points on the board. Laurier led 3-0 at the end of 15 minutes.  

Through two games, close scores have defined the Hawks as their opponent tied the game at three from a field goal early in the second quarter.  

The Ravens kept pushing, adding a couple field goals to pull closer at 13-9 going into the final five minutes of the game. With the Ravens advancing to the Laurier 35 yard line, threatening to put up some points, Laurierā€™s rookie Linebacker Ethan Gregorcic came up with the play of the game that shifted the tides into the Hawks favour.  

Gregorcic made the interception on the Carleton drive, returning the ball 55 yards to put the Hawks deep in Raven territory. ā€œThe Quarterback dropped back, I read his eyes and I was there for it.ā€ Gregorcic said, recapping his catch as calmly as he played it.  

From there, Elgersma and the offence took over as Quentin Scott rushed for five yards into the endzone to make it 20-9.  

Carleton would add six points, but it was not enough to make a successful comeback. The Hawks soared above the Ravens by a score of 20-15.  

Head Coach Michael Faulds gave credit to his rookie saying, ā€œWe knew in recruiting [Ethan] last year, we felt confidently that he was the best Linebacker in the country ā€¦ We gave him the reins as a starter right from week one.ā€ 

ā€œAlthough we are 2-0, I told the guys weā€™re not going to celebrate too long ā€¦ Weā€™ve got to come out there next week, have a great week of practice because we know Guelph is going to be hungry for us.ā€  

The Hawks have a short turnaround as they travel down to the Royal City to take on the Guelph Gryphons on Sept. 9.