Golden Hawks’ resilienceshines despite loss to Waterloo Warriors

In a hard-fought battle at home, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks showcased remarkable resilience against the Waterloo Warriors, ultimately falling short 70-65.

Despite the loss, the game was marked by a notable achievement from standout player Cassidy Hirtle – alongside a spirited comeback effort.

Hirtle’s performance was a beacon of hope for the Hawks, earning her a place among Laurier’s top 10 all-time scorers.

“I’m really proud of her for achieving that and she still has the rest of the season and next year to keep climbing. She’s a hard worker, so she definitely deserves it,”

Captain Miranda Campbell

The Hawks’ comeback from a 14-point deficit was a testament to their tenacity.

“We all seemed a bit down. [At halftime] we still had 20 minutes to get back into the game. The game isn’t over until the last buzzer, right?” said Campbell. The defensive efforts showcased from the Golden Hawks were crucial in narrowing the gap.

“We did a good job of battling and getting in front of them to make sure they didn’t have many easy looks. Getting in the gaps of the defense and staying there when they would drive. That helped in the second half to eliminate their opportunities and limit their second chances,” Campbell said, emphasizing the collective effort required to win.

Despite the commendable fightback, the Warriors secured their win in the final minutes. Looking ahead, the Golden Hawks are focused on their match against Lakehead.

“The next month is going to be very intense. Each game is important. We must come out and bring our best efforts while I remain focused and try to make sure my team is focused,” Campbell said, highlighting the team’s forward-looking approach.

In closing, Campbell expressed pride in her team, “I have high hopes for our team and I’m excited to see what the next month brings.”