Golden Hawk signed toWinnipeg Blue Bombers

On Jan. 17, it was announced that former Golden Hawk defensive back Nico McCarthy had signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

After playing in 38 games total with the Golden Hawks, McCarthy was named an “OUA Second Team All-Star at safety in both 2022 and 2023” according to an article on the Blue Bombers’ website detailing the three new players added to their roster.

“It definitely was exciting after working for it for so long. It’s an unmatched opportunity,” said McCarthy when asked about what it felt like when finding out he would be playing for the Bombers.

Founded in 1930, the Bombers have won 12 Grey Cup championships.

Their most recent win came in 2021 against the Hamilton Tiger Cats according to The Canadian Encyclopedia.

“Definitely moving into a new city and getting to play at a higher level alongside guys you’ve seen on TV – getting to play in an organization. Getting to play some high-level football,” said McCarthy when asked what he was most looking forward to as he joins the Bombers.

McCarthy is the only Canadian to join the Bombers this year.

Playing alongside him on the Blue Bomber team will be Baltimore born Ronnie Brown and Newton born Anthony Blue.

When asked about his time playing with the Golden Hawks, McCarthy noted the team’s “camaraderie”:

“They’re all my brothers. Getting to hang out with those guys day in and day out, whether it’s in practice on the weekends…Yes, [hanging out with them] was the best part of my experience. And obviously winning games,” said McCarthy.

When it comes to important career advice he was given, McCarthy stressed the importance of dedication. “If you’re good, they’ll find you. You just have to keep working,” said McCarthy.

It definitely was exciting afer working for it for so long. It’s an unmatched opportunity.

Nico McCarthy, Defensive Back

With “72 tackles, two interceptions, eight pass break-ups, and two fumble recoveries” according to Laurier Athletics, McCarthy’s strategy has been successful.

For prospective Golden Hawk players, McCarthy had a final note.

“You’re going to go through adversity. If you want to play and be successful, you must get used to dealing with adversity.” said McCarthy