Hawks soar during shoot for the cure showdown

PHOTO BY AMICHAI ABRAHAM

On the evening of Jan. 20, the Golden Hawks Women’s basketball team took on the Lakehead Thunderwolves at the Athletic Complex.

The date was marked by the shoot for the cure campaign, where proceeds from ticket sales were donated towards cancer research.

The Golden Hawks’ primary weapon is the three-pointer, being first in the division in attempts and second in makes.

Coach Falco acknowledged the importance of three-point shooting prior to the game; “Three-pointers are a big part of our offense, we don’t want to live and die by it but it has to be a big factor in our game and our transition game so if we can get to the line and get layups that will open up our three-point game.”

Three-pointers are a big part of our offense, we don’t want to live and die by it but it definitely is a big factor in our game.

Coach Falco, Coach of the Laurier
Women’s Basketball Team

The first quarter featured high scoring as both teams put up 19 points.

Despite shooting a collective 0-7 from three-point range, the team was able to produce at the rim and from the line. This trend would continue throughout the game.

After the second quarter commenced, the Golden Hawks buckled down on defense. Scoring 19 in the first, the Thunderwolves would only be able to muster 18 points combined over the next three quarters.

After managing to somewhat hold off the Golden Hawk offense during the second and third, the floodgates opened in the fourth with Laurier outscoring Lakehead 23-6 in the quarter.

The Golden Hawks earned a 64-37 win, improving their record to 14-10.

Offensively, points were evenly distributed among Golden Hawk players, showcasing a strong ‘team first’ mentality.

The Golden Hawks also dominated on the glass, securing 13 offensive rebounds compared to Lakehead’s five.

The Golden Hawks forcing 24 turnovers and scoring 18 from the line were also essential for this dominating victory.

The Golden Hawk’s next game is against the 14-1 Carlton Ravens.