Former University of Waterloo VP charged with fraud

Former University of Waterloo vice-president, Kenneth McGillivray, has been charged with fraud.

McGillivray has been accused of taking numerous personal trips over a two year span under false pretenses, while acting as the university’s vice-president, advancement.

The former VP is alleged of being reimbursed for over $12,000 after submitting personal expense claims to the university.

Robert Cowan, Waterloo Regional Police fraud branch staff sergeant, said that their investigation started approximately in June of 2015.

“Members from the University of Waterloo had done an investigation with respect to some expense claims that were submitted to them by their employee. Then they contacted our service to conduct an investigation,” he said.

“As a result of our investigation, we found grounds to lay the charges of fraud over $5,000, forgery, and criminal breach of trust.”

UW associate vice-president of communications, Carleen Carroll, said in an email statement that McGillivray’s employment at the university ended May 11, 2015.

“The university made the authorities aware of this situation immediately upon learning of this alleged fraudulent activity and has continued to collaborate with local authorities. The university has reviewed its internal procedures to ensure appropriate controls are in place.”

“We are not in a position to provide further comment given the ongoing investigation and recent arrest,” stated Carroll in the email.

McGillivray was arrested on Nov. 21 in Kitchener by Regional Police when he turned himself in at the Fredericton central division station.

According to the Sunshine List of public-sector employees paid more than $100,000, McGillivray earned $309,999 at UW in 2014, which is the university’s second-highest salary.

McGillivray has an English degree from Carleton University, conducted graduate research at Queen’s University and completed his PhD in English Literature from the University of London in England.

He has also been a secretary general for the Association of Pacific Rim Universities.

McGillivray’s next court date is scheduled for Dec. 22, 2016.