Curating the perfect playlist may be the key to getting the most out of your next workout

To make the most out of your next workout, curate the perfect playlist!   

Music Speed

One component of music to keep in mind is tempo/speed, specifically the number of beats per minute. 

During physical activity, our body subconsciously synchronizes movements to a song’s tempo. In doing so, our body fixates less on the impending exhaustion and allows for better performance by optimizing energy.     

This trend reflects the results of a 2006 study where participants ran on a treadmill under different conditions (ex. music or no music, fast music or slow music).  Participants who listened to fast music ran at a greater pace and a further distance before feeling fatigued. 

Volume

Another factor with music to consider is volume.     

If you listen to soft-spoken music, you should expect an easy-going workout that relaxes the body.  High-energy music, on the other hand, features lively instrumentals and powerful vocals that push you to take on a strenuous workout.     

Keep in mind that your music should not be too loud; that will damage your hearing or take away from your workout. 

Music loudness serves as motivation to increase work capacity, resulting in  greater payoff and  contributing to “rhythm response.”     

According to Scientific American, psychologists use this term to express “how much a song makes you want to boogie.”   This is important to recognize considering that listening to music during exercise has the added benefit of elevating our mood.   

Certain music genres utilize tempo and loudness more effectively and, in turn, seem ideal to incorporate to your workout music.   Examples include hip-hop, rock, rap and even electronic dance music (EDM). 

Section of Workout

There is one other factor to consider when selecting workout music; the given point of your workout. You shouldn’t go straight into an intense workout without proper warm-up or stop without cooling down. It is a good idea to start off slow at the start of your workout as it gradually increases in difficulty and intensity.

High-energy music during the warm-up would throw off your composure and can leave you feeling drained before getting to the actual workout itself.   

This is why careful planning of your exercise music is important. Rather than using the same genre throughout your whole workout, you can rely on different genres for different sections of it.     

For instance, a good genre for both pre-workout and post-workout is classical music. 

The pre-workout stage relies on gathering your energy and preparing for the workout ahead, whereas the post-workout stage emphasizes the body. 

Next time you go to the gym or begin your workout, be sure to make a high-quality playlist so that you can have a high-quality session.