2012 Grammy Award nods and predictions

Album of the Year

21 — Adele

Wasting Light – Foo Fighters

Born This Way — Lady Gaga

Doo-Wops & Hooligans — Bruno Mars

Loud — Rihanna

The Grammy for Album of the Year generally goes to whoever has had the best year and has made the most waves in the music industry. Historically, critics have disagreed with the decisions because they tends to reflect commercial popularity. Adele’s sophomore album 21 increased her popularity and recognition on this side of the pond while producing a number of hit singles. Many of Adele’s songs were remixed and sampled by DJs and artists which further lent to her widespread success. Although critics do not tend to agree with the winner of this category, we believe Adele’s artistry, powerful vocals and personal lyrics make this album both a commercial and critical success. For this reason we believe Adele will win a well deserved Grammy for Album of the Year. —By A & E

Should Win:

Adele (L.S., A&E)
Bon Iver (C.B.)

Will Win:

Adele (L.S. A&E, C.B.)

Best New Artist

The Band Perry

Bon Iver

J. Cole

Nicki Minaj

Skrillex

The category of Best New Artist is a coveted award for industry newcomers vying for positions at the top. It aims to celebrate an artist who has recently broken into the mainstream and exhibits serious potential for future success.Last year, the Grammy for Best New Artist was awarded to an act who can only be described as an industry underdog. In 2011, Esperenza Spalding won over Drake, Florence + The Machine, Mumford and Sons and Justin Bieber, eliciting a resounding “..who?” from music fans. Grammy precedent seems to eliminate all hope for J. Cole despite his quickly rising star and stellar industry connections and while Nicki Minaj had great success in 2010, she didn’t release Pink Friday until 2011, making Minaj a likely candidate for 2012’s Best New Artist. —By L.S.

Should Win:

J. Cole (L.S., A&E)
Bon Iver (C.B.)

Will Win:
Skrillex (A & E)
Nicki Minaj (L.S., C.B.)

Best Rock Album

Rock ‘N’ Roll Party Honoring Les Paul — Jeff Beck

Wasting Light — Foo Fighters

Come Around Sundown — Kings Of Leon

I’m With You — Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Whole Love — Wilco

Should Win:

Kings of Leon (L.S., C.B.)
Jeff Beck (A & E)

Will Win:

Kings of Leon (L.S., C.B.)
Foo Fighters (A & E)

Best Alternative Album

Bon Iver — Bon Iver

Codes And Keys — Death Cab For Cutie

Torches — Foster The People

Circuital — My Morning Jacket

The King Of Limbs — Radiohead

Best Alternative Album has an alumni that include The Black Keys’ Brothers in 2011, Radiohead’s In Rainbows in 2009 and The White Stripes in 2008, 2006 and 2004. Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon has collaborated with many other artists, including Kanye West on his album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The versatility of his talent allows him to collaborate with a variety of artists and transcend genres. Though Bon Iver has had some main stream success they are most likely to be recognized in the Alternative Category. Bon Iver had an outstanding year in 2011 and the self-titled album speaks volumes of the talent the band and front-man possess. For these reasons we believe Bon Iver should and will win Best Alternative Album. —By A & E

Should Win:
Bon Iver (L.S., A & E, C.B.)

Will Win:
Foster the People (L.S., C.B.)
Bon Iver (A & E)

Best Dance Recording

“Raise Your Weapon” — Deadmau5 & Greta Svabo Bech

“Barbra Streisand” — Duck Sauce

“Sunshine” — David Guetta & Avicii

“Call Your Girlfriend” — Robyn

“Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites” — Skrillex

“Save The World” — Swedish House Mafia

Robyn is deserving of this award because she is a seasoned pop artist who consistently delivers innovative pop sounds. Skrillex has been a major player in a mainstream overhaul as dance and electronic music has taken a forefront in the mainstream media. Although it remains to be seen whether Skrillex will remain relevant in coming years, he is likely to take home the Grammy this year because of his huge artistic growth in 2011. —By L.S.

Should Win:
Skrillex (A& E)
Robyn (L.S., C.B.)

Will Win:
Ducksauce (A & E)
Skrillex (L.S., C.B.)

*Best Rap Album

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy — Kanye West

Watch the Throne — Jay-Z and Kanye West

Pink Friday — Nicki Minaj

Tha Carter IV — Lil Wayne

Lasers — Lupe Fiasco

Should Win:
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (L.S., A & E)
Watch The Throne (C.B.)

Will Win:
Tha Carter IV (L.S.)
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (A & E)
Watch The Throne (C.B.)

Although West leads the Grammy nominations with seven and has had an incredible year given the critical acclaim and commercial success of his album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and his collaboration with Jay-Z on Watch the Throne and the consequent tour, the mass media is slow to embrace West because of his controversial antics. Lil Wayne has proven to be a difficult Grammy contender in years passed, earning an astounding eight nominations at the 51st annual Grammy Awards in 2009 for Tha Carter III and winning Best Rap Album that year. The reluctance of the general public to induct West into the league of media darling’s and the gaping oversights of the Grammy’s to acknowledge truly great musical acts leads me to believe Lil Wayne will be taking home the Grammy for Best Rap Album for Tha Carter IV, over the more deserving Kanye West. —By L.S.