Canada in brief: Jan. 5, 2012

Highway crashes claim seven lives

Seven teenagers were killed in highway crashes this Tuesday. According to CBC news, four were killed in a multi-vehicle crash on Highway 69 north of Parry Sound and two others died when their car crossed the centre line on Highway 17 near Hagar, west of North Bay.

A seventh teen succumbed to her injuries Wednesday afternoon. Several people involved in the crashes are also in hospital with serious injuries.
CBC quoted OPP Inspector Mark Andrews saying, “The accidents were a “waste of life [and] completely preventable … [resulting in] 12 families that have had their lives turned upside down.”

Ex-MP wants legal action

A former Quebec politician is planning legal action against the Conservative government for pulling out of the Kyoto Protocol, calling the move unconstitutional. Daniel Turp, a former Parti Québécois MNA and Bloc MP, was quoted by CBC news saying he is going to ask the federal court to block Ottawa’s controversial decision, and is calling on Canadians to join his legal campaign. Turp launched an online petition for Canadians to support his plan because he believes that citizens should have a voice. A spokesperson from Environment Canada told CBC News that the government intends to repeal the Kyoto Protocol Implementation Act.

Compiled by Amanda Steiner