WLU’s history of the arts

Laurier has hosted its fair share of talented individuals. Here’s a list of just a few of the musical performers and media personalities to come out of WLU.

Matte Babel

Babel is undoubtedly one of WLU’s most renowned graduates. A former MuchMusic VJ, Babel co-hosted shows such as MuchOnDemand. He currently works as an anchor at Cable Pulse 24’s morning show.

Will Currie and the Country French

Formed in the basement of the music building at WLU, the six-piece “piano-beat group” has been gathering steam ever since its conception. At a show, the band caught the attention of Jay Ferguson from Sloan, who signed them to his label Murderecords.

JD Era

Artist JD Era is a rising star on the hip-hop scene. Winning “Best Rapper” at the 2008 Toronto indie-music awards, his single “Paper Chase” has become an instant hit.

Shad

Shadrach Kabango, known musically as Shad, has received critical acclaim since he popped into the music scene in 2005 with his first album When This Is Over, which he self-made with money he won from a radio show’s talent competition. He has opened for such big names as Classified and Lupe Fiasco, and was also short-listed for the Polaris music prize in 2008.

Jacob Moon

Making a name for himself as a folk singer-songwriter, Moon has won such awards as “Folk Artist of the Year” at the Toronto Independent Music Awards as well as “Inspirational Song of the Year” at the Unisong Song contest in California.