Wilfrid Laurier University confirms that four students have tested positive for COVID-19

Wilfrid Laurier University confirmed that four Laurier students have tested positive for COVID-19, in a news release published on Sept. 20.

The release stated that all four individuals are now in quarantine and that none of them live in a Laurier residence hall. 

Two of the confirmed cases are being managed by Region of Waterloo Public Health while the remaining two cases are being managed by Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health. 

Anyone identified as a high-risk close contact with the individuals will be notified by the Regional Public Health directly. 

The identity of the students is protected by privacy legislation and will not be shared with the public.

“Despite our extensive precautions and planning, the Laurier community is not immune to the recent increase in cases in the Region and across the province,” Deborah MacLatchy, president and vice-chancellor of Wilfrid Laurier University said in the statement. 

“We’re counting on our students to do their part to prevent the spread of COVID 19 by avoiding gatherings and following public health guidelines.”

The news release encouraged students, staff and faculty to do their part in preventing the spread of COVID-19 by avoiding gatherings, staying physically distant and wearing a mask when required.

A tweet sent to the anonymous submissions account @SpottedLaurier depicted a screenshot of an email received by tenants in Ezra-Bricker apartments. 

“It has come to our attention that 2 Ezra-Bricker Residents have tested positive for COVID-19 […] In the spirit of providing you with as much information as possible, the residents are practicing self-isolation and continue to quarantine in their suite,” the tweet read

It cannot be confirmed whether these cases are the same ones reported by the school.

Updates to come.