What’s new on Netflix this fall?

Cord photography, Megan Xamin

It’s the beginning of September, and while that means that school is starting once again, it also means that Netflix just announced the release of a lot of new content. So, whether you want to relax after class, have a movie night with your friends or even procrastinate, here are some of the most exciting new arrivals on Netflix this Fall.

Dirty Dancing

Ready to have the time of your life? As of Sept. 1, you can now rediscover this iconic 1987 romance on Netflix, starring Jennifer Grey as a young woman on a family holiday who falls in love with a dance instructor played by Patrick Swayze.

Season three of Hip Hop Evolution

This Emmy and Peabody Award-winning Canadian series has been exploring the history of hip hop since its first season in 2016. Available on Netflix on Sept. 6, season three takes us into the 1990s, telling the story of greats like Tupac Shakur, Lil’ Kim, and Eminem.

Season three of This Is Us

Looking for something heartwarming to take your mind off of schoolwork? This hit NBC drama follows a family with triplets through all of the joyful and tragic stages in life, jumping between various timeframes portrayed by a large and loveable ensemble cast including Milo Ventimiglia, Mandy Moore, Sterling K. Brown, and more. You can get caught up with season three on Sept. 24.

The King

Based on Shakespeare’s Henriad plays, this Netflix original film stars Academy Award nominee Timothée Chalamet as a young King Henry V who must take the throne after his father’s death. After its premiere at the Venice Film Festival on Sept. 2, this highly anticipated historical drama will be available to watch on Netflix on Nov. 1.

Season three of The Good Place

In this witty NBC series, Kristen Bell portrays a conceited woman who accidentally winds up in The Good Place in the afterlife. An amusing comedy that holds your attention with unexpected plot twists and even prompts you to think about your own life, this show is perfect for your next binge-watch. Look forward to season three on Sept. 27.

Season three of The Crown

After a successful two seasons portraying the life of Queen Elizabeth II from 1947 to 1964, The Crown will be returning on Nov. 17 with a new season, a new timeframe, and an entirely new cast. Olivia Colman will be taking over the role of the Queen, with Tobias Menzies as her husband Prince Philip, and Helena Bonham Carter as her sister Princess Margaret, as the third season continues to interpret the lives of the Royal Family through the 1960s and 1970s.

It

That’s right, this 2017 film adaptation of the first half of Stephen King’s best-selling novel was added to Netflix on Sept. 1, just in time for the theatre release of It Chapter Two. Following a group of kids who must face a shape-shifting clown who visits their town every 27 years, this record-breaking horror movie is also great for Halloween coming up very soon.

Season two of Explained

This docu-series will be returning on Sept. 26, with a new 15-minute episode about a different topic each week. Having tackled topics like the racial and gender pay gaps, astrology, and aliens with celebrity narrators like Samira Wiley, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Nick Kroll in its first season, these new episodes should be more informative and entertaining than ever.

Season two of Derry Girls

This show has been out on Netflix since Aug. 2, but in case you haven’t yet seen it, I had to include it as my final recommendation. Set in 1990s Northern Ireland, this Channel 4 comedy follows a group of friends navigating their teen years at an all-girls Catholic school while their country navigates the Northern Ireland Conflict. Hysterically funny while also surprisingly heartfelt, this unique series is a true must-see.