What to do if you want to change programs

Graphic by Jamie Mere

University itself is stressful, but it’s even more stressful if you’re unsure of your program.

You could always stick it out, but if you’re not all the way in on your degree, you might feel like you’re wasting your time with a program you have no interest in.

Sometimes considering your options is the best course of action, so here are a few steps to get you started. If you’re interested in exploring your options in regards to a program change, read on.

1. Determine why you want to switch

Are you in a major that you thought would make you successful but you don’t enjoy the subject matter? Are you in something you thought you were passionate about but you’re now realizing that this isn’t something you can see yourself doing long term? These are questions that are pertinent to unravel now.

Changing majors is stressful, especially when it’s something you were sure you wanted to do at one point. Determining why you want to switch majors is important so that you don’t end up in another “dead end” program, so to speak.

2. Look at your options

Are you looking to switch programs, faculties or schools entirely? These are some good things to determine early on so that you can have an efficient plan as possible. It’s easier to switch programs within the same faculty, but it’s doable either way. If you’re looking to switch faculties entirely, make sure you contact the advisors for that faculty and if you’re trying to switch schools, there are plenty of online resources for making this process as streamlined as possible.

3. Get some advice

If you’re considering changing your majors, you should arrange a time to meet and talk with your professors or the academic advisor for your faculty. They can help you make the right choices, like which program is best for you, what you need to do to fulfill the requirements and whether it’s feasible to switch in the coming semester, or within your desired time-frame.

Making yourself aware of the resources that are in place to help you make the best choice for you is an important first step in making the process of switching majors as painless as it possibly can be.

4. Trust your intuition

If you’re considering switching programs, you might be hesitant to hop right into something else that you’re not sure you enjoy. Ultimately, the right choice is to trust your gut. If you’re in the business program but you’re far more enthusiastic about your computer science elective then you might be in the wrong place.

You’re not going to love every class in your program but if you don’t share the same enthusiasm about the subject matter that your classmates share, that’s a decent sign that you might want to start studying something else.

Nobody knows your own feelings towards your program as much as you do, so even though there are lots of resources for you to reach out to, it’s important to remember that the decision ultimately lies with you.