Weight loss eating

(graphic by Mitchell Cheeseman).
(graphic by Mitchell Cheeseman).

Hold up, stop the presses everybody. It has come to my attention that there is a way to eat food to lose weight. Seriously?

I could have been eating this whole time to lose weight? If I had known that, I would have been mowing down faster than Honey Boo-Boo at the Mandarin. The only catch is that you have to eat certain kinds of food. Well I supposed that makes a little more sense.

This idea comes from a woman named Audrey Johns and although she wasn’t the first person to ever figure out this culinary cheat code, she was the one who put it into action. Her philosophy focuses on eating to power the activities you do in your day. On top of that, you can eat food that increases your metabolism, while still eating healthy and satisfying meals. Healthy and satisfying? Count me in.

This week I tried to make a number of the meals presented on Johns’s website tonetiki.com. What was surprising was that many of the meals she suggested were things I had already been eating. For example, Greek yogurt and granola with fresh fruit is one of the healthiest ways to start your day. Blueberries and strawberries are packed with antioxidants that heal and power your body and bananas are high in potassium. Potassium can lessen hangovers and decrease growing pains.

Johns’s website emphasizes eating meals that are low in calories but fill you up. It also includes testimonials from people who have lost weight eating the recipes, and Johns includes many helpful links and cookbook suggestions that appeal to the lifestyle she outlines on her page. There’s also a helpful calorie counter and a list of objects every kitchen needs. It’s all there.

One of the best parts of the website for students is the section she includes on low-calorie cocktails. Though most of my belly is not of the beer variety, this is a major concern for people trying to lose weight. Alcohol can be packed with calories, especially if you mix or chase. Johns includes recipes for drinks that are hard on the liquor but easy on the waistline.

Now, don’t forget eating this food does not mean that you get to skip the gym. I am so good at finding excuses for myself not to go to the gym. It is my excuses that keep me from getting active, but don’t let food be yours. Eating a high protein, low-calorie avocado sandwich and then convincing yourself not to got to the gym because it was so healthy is counter productive.

We had an expression when I was growing up. After trying two “no thank you bites” of something, you were allowed to say “no thank you” to the food you were eating. So why not, try a “no thank you bite” of some new healthy recipes. You might just enjoy it.