Waterloo region permitted to progress into step two on Monday

This morning, Dr. Hsiu-Li Wang, Waterloo region’s medical officer of health, announced that the region will move into Step 2 of the province’s COVID-19 reopening plan on Monday at 12:01 a.m. 

The rest of Ontario was permitted to enter Step 2 on June 30, making Waterloo region the only public health area in the province held back due to the high number of new COVID-19 cases at the time.

This holdback was difficult for the region, but “it was a strategic decision and it allows us the best opportunity to re-open and stay open,” as stated by Karen Redman, the regional chair of Waterloo region in a release.

There has been a clear improvement in the community response for COVID-19 as cases stabilized. Vaccination rates went up to 79.8 per cent of adults having one dose, and 45 per cent of adults having both doses. 

Continuing to build on this momentum puts Waterloo Region on track not only to move to Step 2 on Monday but will help keep us on track for Step 3,” Wang said in a release.

Provincial health officials have not set a date for Ontario moving into Step 3 yet, but Waterloo region is now “fully focused on entering Step 3 in line with the province,” according to Redman. 

As the region progresses in the provincial reopening plan, the community must continue following public health guidelines and continue getting vaccinated when they can. 

More information to come.