WATERLOO REGION MOVING INTO STEP THREE ON FRIDAY

Waterloo region will be moving into Step 3 of Ontario’s COVID-19 reopening plan on Friday at 12:01 a.m.

The region moved into Step 2 on Monday after delays due to an increase of new COVID-19 cases at that time, but the numbers have improved since then.

Our public health and health care indicators continue to improve or stabilize, and our vaccination rates are increasing rapidly,” Dr. Hsiu-Li Wang, Waterloo region’s medical officer of health, said in a release. 

Over the weekend, more than 20,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine were administered in the region at vaccine clinics. 

A hockey hub vaccination clinic at Bingemans in Kitchener administered 4,904 doses on Saturday, setting a new record for the most number of doses in Waterloo region in a clinic on a single day.

As of yesterday, over 80 per cent of eligible adults have received at least one dose, and over 53 per cent are fully vaccinated in the region.

Province-wide, 79 per cent adults have received at least one dose, and over 55 per cent have received both doses. Thus, Waterloo region is ahead of the province on first doses, but behind in terms of second doses. 

As for the current COVID-19 case count, 27 new infections were recorded by health officials in the region today, bringing the active case count to 279. Two new COVID-19 related deaths were reported, and there have been 280 total COVID-19 related deaths since the pandemic started. 

Province-wide, there were 146 new COVID-19 cases and nine deaths.

“Waterloo Region residents are strongly encouraged to get their second dose of vaccine as soon as they can and continue to diligently practice public health measures, as Delta continues to circulate widely and remains a threat in our region.” Wang stated in a release, urging residents to continue getting vaccinated as cases stabilize and the region opens up.