USPORTS Academic All-Canadians honoured this month

Contributed image.

This month, USPORTS announced that 4908 student-athletes across Canada would be honoured as Academic All-Canadians for the 2019-20 sport season.

The Academic All-Canadian honour is a distinction awarded to student athletes who achieve a graded average of 80 per cent or higher while playing on one of their university’s USPORTS varsity teams.

Of the 4908 students named as USPORTS’ Academic All-Canadians, 63 of them were Laurier student-athletes, from Laurier’s total of 340 student-athletes. 

This makes up 18.5 per cent of Laurier’s student-athlete population who were recognized by USPORTS for their excellence on and off the field. 

82 Laurier student-athletes were named Academic All-Canadians in the 2018-19 season. 

With consideration to the sports that aren’t handled by USPORTS, the Laurier department of athletics and recreation recognized 127 Laurier student-athletes in November for achieving an 80 per cent or higher in 2019-20 — a record-breaking number for Laurier. 

Sports that aren’t handled by USPORTS include cheerleading, lacrosse, golf, to name a few. 

99 Golden Hawks on Laurier’s Waterloo campus and 28 Hawks on Laurier’s Brantford campus were recognized by Laurier’s Department of Athletics and Recreation department of athletics and recreation for their academic achievements in the previous sports season. 

This marks the department of athletics and recreation’s highest number of students awarded in Laurier’s history.