A Laurier record, 127 student-athletes earn academic honours for the 2019-20 year

Graphic by Kash Patel

The Laurier Department of Athletics and Recreation recognized a record-breaking number of student-athletes earning academic honours this past year. 

127 student-athletes who are a part of Golden Hawks varsity teams on both the Waterloo and Brantford campus were honoured both by their leagues and their school for their work in the classroom. 

This number is the largest amount in Laurier’s history and a 21 per cent increase from last year’s tally. 

“This is an incredible accomplishment by out student- athletes,” Laurier athletic director, Peter Baxter said in a statement. 

Baxter complimented the hard work and dedication that many of the athletes put in, not only on the field but off the field with their academics as well. 

99 students from Waterloo and 28 students from Brantford achieved over an 80 per cent or higher average through their studies throughout the 2019-20 year. The students from Waterloo were recognized by the OUA and USPORTS while the students in Brantford were recognized by the CCAA or OCAA. 

The list includes notable names such as men’s football All-Canadian, Le’vondre Gordon, kicker Nathan Mesher, men’s golf champion, Jaron Brown, women’s hockey goaltender, Cohen Myers and swimmer, Jasmine Raines to name a few. 

The total number of student-athletes competing at the Brantford campus is 36. The Brantford campus which includes sports such as cross country, and indoor soccer should be pleased with their work as 28 of the 36 were honoured, for a total of 78 per cent of the student-athlete population. 

For the Waterloo campus where the majority of varsity sports are played, Laurier has seen a steady increase over the past several years which Baxter and the rest of the department is pleased to see. In the past five years, the total number of academic award winners has increased 183 per cent. 

From 35 award winners in the 2014-15 year to 99 winners this season, the coaches and department should be proud of their increased work and commitment towards highlighting academic success. 

Academic topics including success and integrity were discussed in large throughout the department’s most recent orientation session last month with incoming Golden Hawks. 

The department remains committed to keeping their athletes on a successful path not only on the field but also academically and this announcement, along with the vast increase, reassures that they are on the right path.