Top 10 Moments of 2015

The Cord’s sports staff counts down the best moments since January in Laurier sport

The best of Laurier sports 2015

The best of Laurier sports 2015 | Photos by Will Huang, Shelby Blackley, Heather Davidson, and Andreas Patsiaouros

10 – Women’s soccer goes to nationals

After last season was cut short, the women’s soccer team won a trip back to nationals for the fifth time in six years. The club placed second in the OUA and defeated Windsor to go to the Final Four. The Hawks would defeat the powerhouse Ottawa Gee-Gees in the semifinals to earn their spot at nationals, finishing tied for seventh on the national stage. –Drew Yates

9 – Lacrosse finishes fourth in OUA

After finishing fifth in the OUA championship last year, the women’s lacrosse team rebounded, taking fourth place this year after a season that yielded mixed results. After an impressive record ended with no medal the year before, this year was even more impressive as they sported a young roster, with 13 new rookies.

–Drew Yates

8 – Boateng wins J.P. Metras Award

In only his third year with the Golden Hawks, defensive lineman Kwaku Boateng was the OUA recipient of the J.P. Metras Award, given to the player who is the “most outstanding lineman” in the conference. It speaks volumes that Boateng was awarded this in only his third year proving there are more good things to come for the lineman. –Drew Yates

7 – Double gold for curling in OUA championship

Last February, the Laurier curling programs made history for the second time when both the men’s and women’s teams won the OUA gold medal. Finishing third in the round robin, the men’s rink went the long route through the playoffs and beat the UOIT Ridgebacks 5-3, the Brock Badgers 8-4 and the Western Mustangs 4-3. The women’s trip to OUA gold was also filled with excitement as the Hawks won the championship banner after beating Brock 5-3 in the final. – Drew Yates

6 – Hawks eliminated in semifinals

After a season of ups and downs, the women’s hockey team found new life in the playoffs. They took down the OUA’s top team, the Queen’s Gaels, in the first round of playoffs and looked set on adding a banner to their collection. Instead, they were swept in a tight series against the Western Mustangs, spelling heartbreak for a veteran roster. The Mustangs went on to win the OUA and CIS championship. –Josh Peters

5 – Basketball shocks powerhouse Lancers

In January, the women’s basketball team shocked the OUA with a 60-53 win over the Windsor Lancers. The Lancers, who seemed invincible after winning five of the last six provincial championships and the last three national championships, were undefeated entering the game. Laurier’s veteran roster won in Windsor’s home gym. The win was the high point in the Hawks dominant regular season. –Josh Peters

4 – Top Hawks snagged in CFL draft

For the first time since 1970, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks saw two top prospects get drafted in the first round — Chris Ackie and Ese Mrabure-Ajufo were picked fourth and fifth respectively in the CFL draft held last May. The two prospects join a list of 11 other Golden Hawks who have also been picked in the first round of the CFL draft and they’re the first since Shamawd Chambers went sixth to the Edmonton Eskimos back in 2012.   

–Drew Yates

3 – Football’s first playoff win since 2010

For the first time in 2010, the men’s football team won a playoff game, beating the McMaster Marauders 29-15 in Hamilton. After finishing the season 4-4, the Hawks used their loss to the Windsor Lancers as motivation to book their spot in the playoffs. The Hawks defensive prowess proved to be too much for the young Asher Hastings, McMaster’s quarterback to handle and the offence took care of the rest. –Drew Yates

2 – Early exit stuns women’s basketball

The Hawks had their sights set on a provincial and possible national championship. However they ran into a scrappy Queen’s Gaels in the quarter-finals who came up with a strong effort and sent the game into double overtime after Hawks Whitney Ellenor missed a free throw. The game slipped away and ended the Hawks’ season. –Josh Peters

1 – Campbell sets all-time rushing record

Dillon Campbell became the all-time leading rusher at Laurier this season with a final total of 3,568 yards. The running back set the record against the Waterloo Warriors when he ran for a 29-yard touchdown in their 42-0 victory. Campbell also broke the OUA record by carrying the ball 40 times and the school single game record at 295 yards. –Daniel Johnson