‘Throw your double L’s up!’

Braving the elements on Monday night, hundreds took shelter in Beta Nightclub to kick-off Hallo-week with show headlined by Dutch EDM superstar Laidback Luke.

Dressed as Superman, to fit the theme of “Superheroes and Villians,” Laidback Luke put on an energetic show, that kept the crowd dancing until the early hours of the morning.

With the majority of the audience decked out in hero attire (i.e. bodysuits and tights), those who ventured out, despite Superstorm Sandy, were there for a good time.

Embracing the Halloween spirit, Laidback Luke opened with The Nightmare Before Christmas theme song “This is Halloween.” As the audience erupted in cheers and a quick sing-a-long, Laidback Luke transitioned into a remix of A-Tracks’s “The Big Bad Wolf” and Michael Jackson’s “Thriller”.

With a strong opening, his set lost some of its luster midway through as his tracks seemed a little repetitive, however he redeemed himself by interspersing more deep house pieces with well-known pop remixes and familiar vocal lines.

The highlight of the set came when he played his massive hit “Turbulence,” a collaborative track that features Steve Aoki and Lil’ Jon.

In anticipation of the ‘drop’, the crowd could feel the audience’s excitement, and when the recorded voice of Lil’ Jon screamed, “we hit turbulence,” the crowd broke out into a frenetic monster mash.

He followed this up with “Show me Love”, and later Swedish House Mafia’s “Don’t You Worry Child”, keeping the energy high until the end of the sold-out show.

While the weather may have deterred some from the show, as was evident by the number of people selling their tickets last minute on Facebook, those who came received a veritable Halloween treat. At $25 per ticket, all fans of EDM could find something to enjoy during Laidback Luke’s versatile set. Playing well-known hits, as well as new remixes of old favourites, Laidback Luke made his third show at Beta one to remember.