The US presidential election is far from over

The US Presidential Election began on Nov. 3 as American voters took to the polls while the entire world watched in anticipation throughout the week to see who would emerge victoriously. 

The race was neck and neck until the Pennsylvanian vote was called, giving Joe Biden and the Democratic Party enough electoral votes to win the presidency. 

Yet, this victory seems highly anticlimactic, and anxiety still lingers due to the discussions and actions that have followed the voting process. 

Refusing to leave the White House quietly, current President Donald Trump has taken to Twitter to voice allegations of voter fraud in mail-in ballots, calling for a manual recount in several states. 

As recounts are underway, the Republican Party has since pursued lawsuits around voter fraud. One Republican claim is the notion that deceased persons or those who have moved were counted within a state’s votes by volunteer poll workers looking to sway the voting in favour of the Democrats. 

While recounts seldom affect election outcomes, uncounted ballots are still being counted, causing anxiety for the Democratic Party. The Democrats know Biden has secured the presidency, but they are concerned with Republican congressional victories that are widening the political power gap. 

Despite the Democratic win of both the popular vote and electoral vote, Republican seats in the Senate and House will make it difficult for the party to enact policies. 

Biden’s inauguration will be held on Jan. 20, 2021, but between Trump’s efforts to dispute the election results and the handling of the global COVID-19 pandemic, there is a long road ahead until the new year. 

As the US continues to report over 100,000 new COVID-19 cases per day, Trump and Biden battle against imposing a national lockdown. 

Despite these record-breaking case numbers, Trump vows against a national lockdown and refuses to coordinate with the president-elect’s team, making it likely that the pandemic and its effects will only get worse. 

Trump continues to downplay the virus as evident by his “victory” party on election night being host to hundreds of unmasked individuals. 

Although the private pharmaceutical company Pfizer announced the 90 per cent effectiveness of their COVID-19 vaccine in its third phase of clinical trials, Trump’s false claims of helping fund the vaccine and the belief that the “cure cannot be worse than the virus” does not sit well with all Americans. 

Biden continues to encourage Americans to wear masks and treat COVID-19 as a threat and not a political issue, although he is yet to state his platform in regards to a national lockdown. 

While enacting lockdown legislation would require bipartisan support, this decision could undermine Biden’s efforts to unite the deep divides in America. 

While Biden promises to “serve as a president who seeks not to divide, but unify, who doesn’t see red states or blue states, but only the United States,” he will also be stepping into the responsibility of keeping Americans safe while leading the recovery of a fragile economy.

However, Biden was a key figure in the Obama administration’s recovery efforts after the 2008 financial crisis, possibly making him well-equipped for this different economic challenge he will face as president. 

Between Trump’s voting lawsuits and Biden’s preparation to take office, this race is far from over. But, will the competition between the Republicans and Democrats ever cease?