The ultimate fall fashion guide

Life -AutumnFashion - jessica mitra cmyk
Graphic by Jessica Mitra

Back in our younger years, the final weeks of August meant one thing: back to school shopping.

For me, this time was always bittersweet because it meant the end of another summer, but at least I was guaranteed a trip to the mall for new clothes.  As a child, it was an unwritten rule that I needed a new outfit for the first day of school, if only to remind my peers that I was still fabulous.

Sadly, as we get older, back to school shopping becomes less important.

Sure, in high school it was still nice to get a new pair of jeans to rock on the first day, but most people focused on who was getting through puberty with the least amount of psychological damage.

Unless a big “trend” was making waves (I’m sure we all remember when TNA pants were once a big thing in the fashion world), new clothes were briefly acknowledged as people moved onto more important things.

Now that we’re all big kids in university, back to school shopping doesn’t hold the same thrill. Some might even see it as a drag.

In an environment where you know maybe 10-15 per cent of the school’s population, it is highly unlikely that someone is going to notice that you got a new pair of shoes or a fall jacket.

However, if you’re still a die-hard shopaholic and live for the September issue of Vogue, never let something as trivial as age stop you from indulging in the latest fall trends.

Turtle Power
I’m not sure who made the decision to bring the turtleneck back because this is an article of clothing I associate with covering hickeys, but it is here this season.

Luckily, this version relies on a sleek mock neck and if you look at it from a practical point of view, it is a cold weather essential for your wardrobe. Try it in an oversized fit paired with some skinny jeans and you’re good to go!

Over-the-Knee Boots
Last year, short booties and combat-inspired footwear were all the rage. While these shoe styles were cute, they became less practical as the snow began to pile up past our ankles.

Which brings us to the over-the-knee boot, which covers you from the elements while still being fashionable. As a boot that can be dressed up or down, I am happy to report that they have made their rightful place back into rotation.

50 Shades of Green
While there were some hints of green this summer, expect to see it everywhere from clothes to home decor. If you know you look good in jewel tones, this is the season for you.

Bonus: not only does this give you time to start preparing for St. Patrick’s Day months in advance, green is associated with status and prosperity. This may be a good time to try your hand at playing the lottery.

Wide Leg Pants
Though I will never denounce a good pair of skinnies, wide-legs can be just as flattering when paired with the right shirt (I would suggest going fitted on top to balance out proportions if you’re going bigger on the bottom). If you’re still a little nervous about this 1970’s throwback, try to look for looser pants that taper at the ankle and sit higher on the waist. Pair it with a white tee and you are the perfect mix of casual and cool.

Statement Outerwear
If there is one thing that you can always make room for in your closet, it’s a good fall jacket. Outerwear stole the stage during Paris Fashion Week back in March with designers such as Celine, Chanel and Stella McCartney showcasing every style from oversized to boxy, tailored to sporty, it was all there.

The best thing is that this is something you can wear more than once a week and use to take any outfit to the next level.

So, even if back to school shopping doesn’t give you the same thrill as it did in your youth, let the Concourse be your runway as the cold weather forces us to retire our summer cut-offs and crop tops.