The do’s and don’ts of taking a ‘selfie’ photo

When it comes to taking a ‘selfie,’ there are some poses to avoid. (Photo by Heather Davidson)

Do you ever find yourself in public bathrooms taking scandalous pictures in the mirror? When you see an old friend, do you immediately whip out your phone and pose with them? Are you completely obsessed with Instagram, SnapChat or any other picture taking apps? Do you know the perfect angle to hold the camera so that you can flawlessly catch your good side? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you are undoubtedly a “selfie specialist.”

A selfie specialist is someone who has mastered the art of the selfie, in ways that the average camera phone user can only dream of. Becoming a selfie specialist can take years of trial and error and, to be honest, who has that kind of time?

Thankfully, there is a list of do’s and don’ts for all you potential selfie takers. If you follow these guidelines, you will be snapping quality selfies in no time and well on your way to becoming a selfie specialist.

Do’s
1. Be aware of your surroundings. Too many times perfectly nice selfies have been ruined by photo bombers, dirty toilets or repulsively messy bedrooms or bathrooms. Keep an eye out for those before taking your selfie.
2. Document important moments in your life. Whether it’s going to the dentist’s office for a routine cleaning or maybe even your new car, selfies that mean something will be a treat to look back on when you are sifting through your camera roll.
3. Include pets and animals. We all love looking at those furry little critters. But be careful, because once that iPhone camera flashes, your adorable Chihuahua can instantly turn into a vicious honey badger.

Don’ts
1. Try and act super tough. Actual tough guys don’t take selfies in the first place so trying to look all “macho” in your parents’ bathroom mirror won’t boost your street cred. Sorry fellas.
2. Take scandalous selfies on public devices. Dozens of random people scroll through those pictures everyday and the last thing they need to see is you and your nipple ring. Gross.
3. Duck face. Enough has been said. Period.