The Cord nominated for 12 JHM awards

On Jan. 4, a small group of The Cord staff will head to Fredericton, New Brunswick to attend NASH, an annual post-secondary journalism conference.

This yearly conference brings in student journalists from across the country to meet various professionals in the journalism industry and learn about the most recent trends in reporting, photography, multi-media and design, among others. At the end of each NASH conference, student journalists from all over Canada are recognized at the JHM Award Ceremony, where students are nominated for awards in various categories.

Last year, The Cord was nominated for four JHM Awards at the conference in Toronto. Current Creative Director, Will Huang, took home our only win last year, as he was recognized as Photojournalist of the Year.

This year, The Cord has been nominated for 12 awards.

Senior News Editor, Kaitlyn Severin, was nominated for News Story of the Year with her story, “UPDATED: anti-abortion demonstration in the Quad.” Severin was also nominated for Student Journalist of the Year. The Cord also took two nominations in the category of Sports Story of the Year. Features Editor, Mitchell Consky was nominated for his story, “Laurier student joins Ontario’s first blind soccer team.” The Cord’s former Editor-in-Chief, Shelby Blackley, was nominated for her story, “Closing the gap between men’s and women’s sports.”

Blackley was also nominated for Student Journalist of the Year and Layout of the Year, while Consky was also nominated for Cover of the Year.

Cord alum Josh Awolade was nominated for Graphic of the Year for his ed cartoon called, “Admin at a crossroads.”

Last year’s Photojournalist of the Year, Will Huang, was nominated for two JHM’s this year: Layout of the Year for his feature spread entitled, “Diedter Stadnyk” as well as Photo of the Year for a photo of Laurier curling stars entitled, “Fraser and Kerilynn.” Huang was also nominated for Video of the Year, alongside Web Director Brian Phillips for their St. Patrick’s day video made last March.

The Cord, as a whole, was also nominated for Best Website.

We are excited to see the outcome of the award ceremony and hope to do the Laurier community proud by bringing home some wins from Fredericton.