Nicole Morrison puts the team first

Photo by Alex Trkulja

The Laurier women’s basketball team currently owns a 7-2 record and one of the biggest reasons behind their outstanding season has been the play of fourth-year guard, Nicole Morrison.

Morrison is averaging a career high in points, rebounds and assists per game. She was named the OUA athlete of the week on Dec. 5, 2016.

All this success is following a year in which she was named an OUA Women’s Basketball First Team All-Star for 2015-16.

Morrison’s relationship with basketball began well before her arrival at Laurier. The Hamilton native simply had a chance encounter.

“I started playing basketball in grade seven. My dad was a hockey player, so I don’t really know how I got into basketball. I just got into it for fun and started to love it after that,” said Morrison.

At 5 feet 4 inches, Morrison does not have the ideal height of a basketball player. This was never an obstacle for her.

“I made sure I was one of the strongest players on the court. I’m not big, but I’m still pretty strong. I made up for the height with my strength,” she said.

Morrison credits the Hawks’ success this season to the overall depth of the team.

“We have a very strong team. We have a lot of girls who can step up and play well. We have a good group of rookies who have played their part and done a good job of fitting into our team and the way that we play.”

The Hawks’ talent has been on display all season long, especially over the last two games, which they have won by a combined 58 points.

When asked to comment about her individual accomplishments over the past year, Morrison was quick to shift the focus towards the team.

“I don’t think individual stats mean that much. I enjoy being part of a team that does well. Everyone on the team plays well and that’s more fun than individual awards for me,” she added.

Morrison’s team first attitude shows that the sky is the limit for this Hawks team. The chemistry and togetherness of this team can be seen through their performances on the court.

Despite all the personal and team success that Morrison has achieved, she does not see herself becoming a professional basketball player in the future.

“I have some life goals. I am working on my firefighting. I’m doing my pre-service. I love Laurier basketball — it’s done a lot for me. It’s a lot of fun, but after that, I don’t see myself playing any further,” she said.

It has been a great season for Morrison and the Golden Hawks so far and Morrison’s character, along with the rest of the team’s talent, proves that this team can go as far as its players are willing to take it.

A playoff berth is in the cards for the Hawks and it should not surprise anybody to see Laurier make a deep playoff run.

The Golden Hawks are back in action Friday as they host the Carleton Ravens at the Athletics complex.