Athletics and recreation set to recieve increased funding in 2024-2025

Laurier Athletics Center

On Feb. 1, it was announced during the SU referendum question that with 70 per cent of the vote, additional funding would be provided to athletics and recreation to improve services.

Laurier Athletics Center
Photo by: Darien Funk

A small fee will be added to student tuition for much-needed renovations and exciting projects for the athletic center.

“This is a really monumental contribution to Athletics and Recreation,” said Kate McCrae Bristol.

Kate began working as the Director of Athletics and Recreation at Laurier this past September after spending the prior four years as Dean of Students.

This extra funding has been a key objective for Bristol as she takes on the role of Director of Athletics and Recreation.

“It’s also really overdue. If you look across the province, we will probably be the last institution to do major upgrades to a recreational facility in the last decade,” she said.

Despite a growing student population, the Laurier recreation facilities haven’t managed to keep up with increased demand and usage.

After conducting surveys with the students, it was determined that upgrades and changes had to be made to the athletic infrastructure at Laurier.

“We collect student feedback all the time and we try to be nimble with it. I hope that with this fee, students start to see that their contribution matters and that they truly are leaving a legacy for future students,” Bristol said.

The increased funding will be used for upgraded and enhanced change rooms, fitness center upgrades, new field turf at the University Stadium, new study spaces in the athletic complex and improvements to accessibility.

Perhaps the most anticipated update is the upcoming installation of the Winterization ‘bubble’ and other upgrades to the University Stadium.

I hope that with this fee, students start to see that their contribution matters and that
they truly are leaving a legacy for future students.

Kate McCrae Bristol, Director of Athletics and Recreation

The ‘bubble’ will allow the field to be used all year long due to a now operable dome that will surround it.

“Students are our number one priority,” Bristol said. “This [funding] is going to allow us to hopefully better serve students in an ongoing way.”

Some enhancements are set to be in place by September 2024 including a new scoreboard, turf, lighting and footings for the new dome.