Students’ Union by-election underway as student body votes in new board members

Voting for the Wilfrid Laurier University Student’s Union by-election opened on Tuesday, Oct. 5 and will close Thursday, Oct. 7 at 8:00 PM.

Students will have the opportunity to vote in three directors for the students’ union board.

In June, three former directors resigned from the board, resulting in an unprecedented fall by-election to fill those vacancies.

The board of director candidates include Sam Bryant, Nicholas Lafarciola, Blake Phillips, Angeline Redford and Tyler Rolczewski. Rolczewski did not submit a platform summary.

A virtual Open Forum took place on Oct. 1 and was moderated by current chair of the board of directors Andrew Dang and chief returning officer Francesco Del Giudice.

Phillips and Lafarciola were the only candidates present.

The 45-minute question and answer period focused on topics that ranged from equity, diversity and inclusion training to transparency and the management of student concerns that included equitable access to mental health resources.

Lafarciola’s platform focused on providing “clear and accessible information regarding [students’ union] initiatives, discussions, and decisions that impact students. “ As well, he wishes to use his voice  “to ensure that the decisions and policies discussed by the board align with the best interests of the student body.”

Phillips’ intends to deliver on “three promises” in his platform: “formally address and educate our community on sexual violence and safety in our community, improve transparency between the Student’s Union and the student body, and ensure easy access to meaningful mental health resources for our community.”

Laurier students can access the online forum on the students’ union’s #LaurierVotes information page where voting can also be accessed through a link or QR code.