Curling Hawks go undefeated in day one of OUA curling championships

Perfect records for both Hawk rinks to start OUA title defence

Photo by Heather Davidson
Photo by Heather Davidson

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks kicked off the defence of their title yesterday at the Ontario University Athletics curling championship, held at the Guelph Curling Club. The men’s rink won both of their games today 8-2 against the Ryerson Rams and 10-2 against the Algoma Thunderbirds, while the women’s team won their only draw of the day 10-1 against the Windsor Lancers. Currently, both rinks are undefeated as the men’s team is 2-0, while the women’s team is 1-0.

On the men’s side, the Hawks picked up exactly where they left off last year. The reigning Canadian Interuniversity Sport silver medalists picked up a triple against the Rams in the third end and then stole a single in the fourth going into the break. The Rams, in their inaugural season in curling, was limited to a single to cut Laurier’s lead in half before the Hawks added a steal of three on top of a single to take an 8-2 lead after six. Against the Thunderbirds, the game went very much the same, with the rink picking up a score of six to take a 9-1 lead after the third end. The two rinks shook hands after the fifth end.

In the women’s draw, Laurier used a series of steals to shatter the Lancers. After the Hawks built a 5-1 lead in the third end, they threw the nail in the coffin early for the Lancers by stealing four points and then adding a single to take a 10-1 lead. Windsor was limited to a single in the sixth end and conceded.

Laurier starts day two of the OUA championships today when the women’s rink plays the Toronto Varsity Blues and the Trent Excalibur, and the men’s rink plays the Carleton Ravens and the Lakehead Thunderwolves. The women’s team starts at 8:30 a.m. against Toronto while the men’s team starts at 12 p.m. against Carleton.

You can follow Laurier’s progress on the Ontario Curling Association website here.

The Cord will be on scene Saturday, Sunday and — if the teams make it — Monday for on the ground coverage.