Newest additions to women’s hockey announced

The announcement of the Wilfrid Laurier women’s hockey recruiting class has kept many on the edge of their seats. Coach Rick Osborne wisely sought the new addition of the committed six players to the Golden Hawks for the upcoming 2016-17 season.

With a smaller coaching staff than in previous years, coach Osborne has been unyielding on his recruiting process.

Joining the Hawk’s ice next year will be forwards Carly AuCoin of Cambridge, Ont., Emily Woodhouse of St. Mary’s, Ont., Whitby, Ont. natives Jaden Head and Julia Talman, Aynsley Harrison of Corunna, Ont., along with defenceman Jamie Watson of Georgetown, Ont.

In the last five years, coach Osborne has been able to lead the women’s hockey team to two Canadian Interuniversity Sport Championship runs, along side three Ontario University Athletics semifinals and two OUA Championship appearances.

Osborne is continuously looking to create the greatest team that Laurier has ever seen, following a “reload versus rebuild strategy,” and is always thinking of the longevity of the team and how prospects plan on representing the Laurier brand.

“I take a look at the person, I take a look at the passion they might have and then I take a look at who’s leaving and how we need to replace them,” said Osborne.

Incoming recruit, Emily Woodhouse, is the former assistant-captain of the Rivulettes who found herself a spot on the Laurier roster. Woodhouse recorded a team-high of 14 goals and added eight assists to finish her season with the Rivulettes.

Head and Talman, both former members of the Durham West Lightning, were key members of a team that finished in first place in the Provincial Women’s Hockey League regular season.

“Jaden Head and Emily Woodhouse are both top scorers,” Osborne said.

“Jaden was number three on the best team in the league and Woodhouse was the top scorer on her Cambridge junior team.”

Complementing the 2016-17 class is captain and defenceman Jamie Watson, from the Burlington Barracudas. Watson recorded three goals and 12 assists in her most recent season.

“Watson had a dozen points or so as a defence person, so she quarterbacks, allowing us to generate an offence from the backend,” Osborne said.

Alongside her former teammate, Woodhouse, is Carly AuCoin who will be joining the Golden Hawks, as she finished her year with five goals, while serving 12 assists.

Head, an undersized forward, compensated by her skills, finished the season third in scoring as she tallied up 12 goals and 11 assists. Talman complimented the team, finding herself on the season stat sheet with three goals and seven points.

“Carly Aucoin and Julia Talman, they are going to be those worker B type players that will grind down the opposition,” explained Osborne.

The fifth addition to the Hawks is Harrison, a 5-7 forward who suited up for the London Devilettes, finishing her season with five goals and seven assists to help her team.

“I believe in the rookies we have this year, and the rookies we had last year,” Osborne said.

“I’m pretty positive and pretty confident.”