Letters to the Editor: November 14, 2012

Interest in politics should be encouraged

Dear Editor,

In Brad Kleinstruber’s “Democratic Elections not always fair” he criticizes both Obama and Romney as being bad and substantially the same. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. Their positions and vision of America are vastly different.

Mitt Romney wants less government and regulation and no tax increase under any circumstances while Barack Obama wants smart effective government to help the vulnerable and build a strong middle class with the top one per cent of Americans starting to pay their fair share of tax.

The recession which was inherited from the Bush administration necessitated the Auto bail out in order save the industry and thousands of jobs that Romney would have let self destruct.

The US political system may arguably be broken. The Republican actions previously have been to reject at all costs, Obama’s efforts and make him a one term president. Obama was stonewalled last term in every attempt to reach a consensus through compromise and move the country forward and we can only hope that sanity will prevail and Grover Norquist and his followers will soften their obstructionist tactics in the coming months.

Most distressing of Kleinstruber’s comments however is his apparent suggestion that if neither candidate meets your expectations then simply don’t vote.

How ironic he makes such a statement within days of Remembrance Day when we honour those who made the supreme sacrifice so that we would have the ability to cast our vote in a democratic society even with its shortcomings.
–Robert Snyder

Letter policy: Letters must not exceed 250 words. Include your full name . Letters must be received by 12:00 p.m. noon Monday via e-mail to letters@thecord.ca. The Cord reserves the right to edit for length and clarity or to reject any letter.