Killabits at Beta

Last Wednesday, The Killabits kicked off Beta Nightclub’s Back 2 School September lineup with a wickedly high-energy show that held the crowd entranced from start to finish.

The electronic DJ and producer duo from Toronto played to the audience, all of whom seemed to have personal connection to the music.

A more intimate crowd in contrast to some of Beta’s more well-known acts, the common respect for the music really created an unspoken bond between everyone there.

The openers, Tundra & Odi-Wun, worked together to hype up the crowd for the Killabits. Spinning new collaborations of drum n’ bass, dubstep and electro, they set the pace for the rest of the night.

These local DJs can be found at clubs and parties across Kitchener-Waterloo.

The Killabits hit the stage, and had the crowd pumped and singing along as they remixed Zed’s Dead and Omar LinX’s “Rudeboy” and later Adventure Club’s “Wait.”

Seamless transitions from track to track kept everyone dancing non-stop for the entire two-hour set. The combination of popular songs, including some by Skrillex, Avicii and Nero, along with original tracks, kept the audience on its toes as to what was coming next.

As 2:30 a.m. approached, the audience called for “one more song,” and even after the encore, everyone went wild as the Killabits caved and dropped Nirvana’s “Smells like Teen Spirit”.

The duo was extremely versatile, and seemed able to master anything within the genre of EDM.

They continuously dropped heavy bass seamlessly alongside fast-paced electronic backbeats, mixed with a bit of a Moomba flair, all with a vocal layover; they are definitely someone to keep an eye on in the future.

Having missed their show in August at Wrongbar in Toronto, I was very excited to catch their show at Beta.

Needless to say, this was one of the most adrenaline-pumping shows I have been to in a while, and would go see them again in a heartbeat.