Hawks 3-1 after Homecoming victory

Photo by Heather Davidson
Photo by Heather Davidson

Wilfrid Laurier University’s Homecoming festivities could not end fast enough for the Carleton Ravens on Saturday afternoon.

The Golden Hawks battered the Ravens 53-3 and climbed to 3-1 in the season in front of 7,370 fans in a packed University Stadium. The two teams have not faced off since 1970, in a game that was also won by Laurier.

The Hawks led 34-0 at the half and were able to rest most of their key starters for the rest of the game.

Head coach Michael Faulds was glad the team was able to get the early lead and continue the pressure for the entire game.

“We knew they were going to come in with confidence, and we knew that in the first quarter we had to try to take that away from them. And then once you start to build the lead, you don’t want them to have any hope,” he said.

Running back Dillion Campbell continued his outstanding season, rushing for 176 yards in just over two quarters. That brings him up to 850 yards on the year, just 21 shy of his Ontario University Athletics leading total of 867 last year.

Wide receiver Anthony Pizzuti hauled in two touchdowns from quarterback James Fracas, both from inside the 10 yard line.

“Me and Fracas, we have great chemistry on and off field, so he trusts that I’d be in a good spot to make the play,” he said.

Laurier’s defense shined once again, allowing just 3 points, just one game after shutting out Waterloo. They have not allowed a touchdown since their loss to the Windsor Lancers three weeks ago. Defensive back Chris Ackie racked up 5.5 tackles on the day.

“We are just more focused,” he said. ”We really buckled down and did what we needed to do today.”

Kicker Ronnie Pfeffer continued his strong season with some massive punts, the longest of which reached 74 yards.

The Hawks will be hosting the visiting York Lions next week at University Stadium. The Lions have only scored a total of 12 points all season. Kickoff is at 1 p.m. on Oct. 4.