Golden Hawks get first home victory of the season

Photo by Qiao Liu

The Wilfrid Laurier University women’s hockey team picked up their first win at home on Sunday night against the York Lions, winning the game 4-2 after losing to the Lion’s on the road last weekend.

The game started off with a goal from York after only 11 minutes of play, putting Laurier in a deficit for the remainder of the first period.

Laurier did not give up however, playing relentless defense and making sure to get back on their feet for the next period.

The second period got off to a quick start in Laurier’s favour after a goal from Emily Visser just two minutes into the period. “The key to our first win was the readiness and determination of the whole team for this game,” head coach, Rick Osborne, said.

“I could sense it and see it in the eyes of our leaders and our second and third year players before the game.”

Laurier finally found their lead 12 minutes into the second period, with Aynsley Harrison scoring a power-play goal for Laurier making it 2-1 for the team.

York answered Laurier’s goal, adding one of their own with just two minutes left in the second, but the Golden Hawks knew they had it in them to win it.

Laurier had one goal all season before this game and no wins, marking this game as a turning point in their season.

Madison MacCulloch scored just over 30 seconds into the third period, letting Laurier’s dominance be known and showing their opponents that this game was theirs to win.

York tried to answer back after a Laurier penalty by pulling their goalie – making it six on four – but the Golden Hawks’ speed was unmatched, and a goal from Jaden Head extended the lead for Laurier to 4-2.

“We answered quickly every time they pushed back or tried to take over the momentum,” Osborne said.

“Either a big save from Miller or a high-speed play that finished with great goals from Harrison and MacCulloch; and finished the last few minutes with a big four on six penalty kill which lead to an open net goal.”

They will look to keep their win streak alive against Western on Nov. 18.

Osborne has nothing but faith in this group of talent:

“Looking ahead to future games; we will use this game to continue to play with the confidence we showed on the ice Sunday night; challenge each other to be better at practices and continue to focus on the process to drive our mental and physical preparation.”