Editorial: Staying positive despite stress

Photo by Tanzeel Sayani

Being busy can mean different things to different people and no matter what your “busy” is, it is imperative that you remain positive.

As someone with every minute of her life scheduled and often double-booked, I know it can be a challenge to refrain from getting frustrated or overwhelmed, especially when you have to miss out on fun things.

There’s jobs, clubs and other extra-curricular activities – not to mention school of course – that fill up the weeks of students quite quickly. For myself, I simply don’t have the time to think negatively.

If I took the time to get upset about when things don’t go according to my scheduled daily plan, or constantly complain about being too tired, I would impact my day-to-day experiences and take up time that could be used to actually get everything else done.

Each and every day you have the opportunity to shine a positive light onto others and impact your environment with either a positive or negative attitude. By helping to make other people feel happy and appreciated, you’re going to also benefit your own experience.

This is the time of year that many people feel the pressure of upcoming exams, while midterms, final papers, year-end events and everything else that seems to happen, comes up at once. I think it is all about taking it one day at a time.

Politely say no to the unnecessary things that don’t add positivity to your life and continue pursuing opportunities that are either a good investment of your time, or provide you with true pleasure.

I create a calendar in a Word document and update it consistently. It is never finished; I am constantly to it and it is always changing. One of the most satisfying feelings is when I delete an assignment or work shift I’ve finished.

If you’re worrying about the past or too concerned about what is coming, then there’s so much you’ll miss, and you’re wasting the time you have to be right in the moment. When you are enjoying what you are involved with you will probably perform better too, so I am a firm believer in the saying “fake it till you make it.”

Overcome those nerves when studying through whatever works for you – individually – and giving your opportunities a fair chance is so crucial. If something doesn’t align with your own goals, learning strategies or passions, move on and spend that time somewhere else that will positively affect your life.

You might not necessarily like to do all your assignments, but look for the good in investing your time into doing well in school and appreciate the little interesting things you have the privilege to learn about.

When you have so much to do you also are impacting your self-care schedule, including time for sleeping, eating, relaxation and for hygiene routines. I am a huge fan of bath bombs and makeup, but whether you make the time for a good run or maybe you need a nap every day at noon , do what you need to do in order to be your best self and tackle the rest of the day with full passion and confidence in your well-being.

When you feel nourished, you can shine so much brighter.

Start each day with the goal of making it the best one yet.