Golden Hawks fall to Guelph

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks Men’s Hockey Team allowed a season second-high 51 shots as they fell to an energetic and disciplined visiting Guelph Gryphons team. Laurier rookie goaltender Ryan Daniels was masterful allowing only three goals in the 4-2 Guelph victory.

The game started well for the purple and gold as captain Jean-Michel Rizk took the puck hard to the net and fired it past Gryphons net-minder Scott Van Bommel only 1:22 into the game.

Guelph’s Thomas Kiriakou responded at 13:13, converting on one of the Gryphons’ nine power play opportunities. His marker tied the game and the opening frame ended evenly with the score 1-1 and the shots 11-11.

The second and third periods, however, told a very different tale. In those two frames, the Gryphons outshot the Hawks by a combined total of 40-10, and were it not for superb goaltending by Daniels the game would not have been as close as it was.

Alex Magera, Kiriakou, and Kris Belan (empty-netter) had Guelph’s other two tallies, while Hawk forward Jason Bergeron put in his seventh of the campaign for Laurier’s only other marker.

The Hawks attempt to bounce back this Sunday as the high-powered #10 nationally ranked Lakehead Thunderwolves pay a visit the Waterloo Recreational Complex.