Going from drab to fab

(Photo by Andriana Vinnitchok)
(Photo by Andriana Vinnitchok)

As we begin to enter fall, what is the most important thing that comes with it? Why, fall fashion, of course!  You’re a student and you don’t want to put a ton of effort into an outfit, especially for class where you want to be comfortable and casual.

However, it is important to avoid dressing like a ‘plain-Jane.’  This is where accessories come to the rescue!  There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to accessories.  This makes them the perfect way to showcase your style and have a little fun with fashion.

Take a moment to envision this: a woman walking to class in a plain white t-shirt, blue skinny jeans and flip-flops. This look is totally an appropriate daytime look, however it does lean on the side of ‘plain-Jane’ and it is best that you avoid this as much as you can.

Now envision this: a woman walking to class wearing the same t-shirt and jeans.  This time, swap the flip-flops for a funky pair of booties while adding a chunky necklace and a bold colourful tote. This look is completely appropriate for daytime, while keeping with trends and showing off a sense of style. While fashion is meant to be fun and expressive, there are a few guidelines to be aware of when working with accessories.

First, be aware of proportions. If you’re wearing a voluminous outfit it is perfectly fine to scale back on accessories. With a sleek look, it is important to add some drama to the outfit with  a statement piece like a scarf or some big earrings.

Second, along with balancing proportions it is important to balance colour. With an outfit consisting of mostly monochromes, such as black and white, it is easy to add balance with a few pops of colour in your accessories.

Finally, buy accessories that fit your personality. While going along with trends is a good way to start experimenting with accessories, it is important to find pieces that you like and will reflect who you are.  When you’re wearing accessories that you’re not comfortable wearing, it definitely shows.  So make sure that you love the accessories that you’re buying.

At the end of the day, fashion and accessories are all about having fun and being expressive.  As long as you’re confident in what you’re wearing, you’ll always look beautiful.