Galentine’s Day ideas

File photo

Just because Valentine’s day is the day of love, does not mean it requires a   significant other to be enjoyed. If you’ve decided you want to spend the day with your friends, then you can have a Galentine’s day filled with equal amounts of love, fun and appreciation. This list includes a variety of different activities that you and your gals can do to enjoy February 14th together.  

1. Wine swap/Wine tasting  

If you’re 19 or older, then this is a fun activity that can be done with your friends on a budget. If you choose to do a wine swap, you and your galentines can go to the store of your choice, pick out a different bottle or two of wine for each other and split them however you’d like. If you want to do a wine tasting, grab one or more bottles of wine each, open them up and pretend like you’re in a vineyard in Niagara falls. Not only is this a fun activity, but you might end up finding your new favorite wine!  

1. Brunch 

If you’re not  a morning person but don’t want to wait for lunch time to see your girls, then a brunch date is the way to go. There is an array of tasty restaurants in Waterloo, and the brunch scene is no different. If you’re looking for a hearty brunch to have as part of your Galentine’s day plans, here are a few options that may tickle your fancy; Mel’s Diner, Stacked Pancake & Breakfast house, Korner Kitchen, or Pür & Simple. These options are all generally wallet friendly and do not have to be overly extravagant. The important part is you’re filling your hearts and stomachs! 

1. Spa night 

Everyone loves to be pampered, but nothing is better than having it done in the comfort of your own home. Whether you already have all the supplies you need or want to buy new ones, a spa night is the best Galentine’s day activity to sit back, relax and release stress with your friends. Face masks and manicures/pedicures pair perfectly with other ideas on this list, including movie marathon and wine tasting. 

1. Rom-com marathon  

As a huge fan of romantic comedies, there’s never a wrong time of year to have a movie marathon, but Galentine’s day puts you right in the feels for it. This date idea can be perfectly paired with any of the activities listed in this article (except for maybe brunch). There is no shortage of chick flicks to choose from, but if you’re having trouble, here are a few options for you: The Notebook, How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Me Before You, 50 First Dates, The Proposal or A Walk To Remember.  

1. Baking party 

Similar to the wine swap, a baking party has you ready to get your sweet tooth on. You and your friends can either all take on the same baking challenge ormix it up and each bake something different. If you all want to do the same thing, try and challenge yourselves by making it something difficult and over the top. It doesn’t matter if it doesn’t look or taste great, as long as you tried your best and had fun. If you all choose to bake something different, decide ahead of time who is making what so there is no overlap. Better yet, you can keep it a surprise and at the end of the night reveal your baking masterpieces to each other.