Female comedic roles becoming more prominent in television

Move over men, women might just be funnier than you. Female comedic leads in television are taking over and viewers seem to be pretty okay with it.

Netflix and Hulu have recently been launching shows with hilarious women at the forefront. There seems to be a notion that guys can’t enjoy comedy performed by a woman, but I beg to differ. The shows below can be enjoyed by everyone and are perfect for bingeing this summer while your course load is a little lighter.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

This show is ridiculous, but Kimmy and Titus are so loveable. As a huge fan of The Office, a show that gave birth to several female comedians, I was really excited to see Ellie Kemper as the star of her own series. This show is silly, heartwarming and wildly unpredictable. In the second season, which recently came out on Netflix, mother of female comedy Tina Fey has a fairly large role as an alcoholic psychiatrist. Believe me, it’s great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNKEKlXY3Z4

The Mindy Project

Mindy Kaling also caught her big break in The Office. Her character on The Office, Kelly, is similar to the character she plays in The Mindy Project: self-entitled, narcissistic and yet strangely loveable. The Mindy Project shows the multi-dimensionality of femininity. Mindy is a doctor, which proves her to be both smart and hard working, as well as a mother, but also hilariously strong-willed and stubborn. She is stubborn to the point where she finds herself in the strangest of situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbRtSEpChZ4

Jane The Virgin

This show takes the mistaken identity trope to a whole new level. Jane, who has vowed to stay a virgin until marriage, is artificially inseminated by mistake. Her gynecologist mixes up the rooms. Realistic, right?
This show plays with both family and personal morals, while offering viewers a chance to watch women deal with a situation that would never actually happen. Gina Rodriguez, like Mindy Kaling, is one of the few women of colour to star in her own series.

Orange Is The New Black

This show, one of Netflix’s most popular series, mixes comedy and drama in a nearly flawless fashion. In a cast of almost entirely women, Orange is the New Black tells several different stories, some hilarious while some heart wrenching, of women in prison. Though this show doesn’t necessarily have one single female comedian at the forefront, it highlights several different female actors from different backgrounds, like Laverne Cox, who is not only a outstanding actress, but a spokesperson for the LGBTQ community.

If you haven’t seen the new trailer for season four, which will air in June, you should probably do that now.