Drink like a leprechaun

(Graphic by Lena Yang)
(Graphic by Lena Yang)

Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day is a wonderful tradition and an excellent excuse for Laurier students to party for a full day in the middle of March and not be judged.

Even those students without a drop of Irish blood in their body can pretend to be Irish from sun up to sun down. The best way to celebrate this indulging holiday is to indulge in a great drink.

I’m sure you’re all thinking “Perfect, I will just drink green beer.” But not only is it way overdone, if you want to drink beer like the Irish, a pint of Guinness is the status quo. If that seems like too much to swallow and you’re looking to spice things up this St. Paddy’s Day, you might want to try one these creatively festive drinks as the perfect toast to the Irish.

Irish Gold
Want a nice little fruity cocktail to get things started early in the morning?

Well, go for that gold at the end of the rainbow with this classic. Irish Gold combines the foundation of Irish whiskey and ginger ale with a fruity finish. You’re going to want to mix some authentic Irish whiskey with ginger ale and a little touch of peach schnapps. Stir it all together, add a splash of orange juice and the result is a fruity Irish whiskey drink that is superiorly refreshing.

The Shamrock
This is a simple cocktail that can really start your day off on the Irish foot.

Not only is it a beautifully green colour, it also has a delicious yet strong taste. You’re going to need any type of tequila, some melon liqueur, triple sec, and a juice of your choice. Mix these all together in a martini shaker or just your average highball glass.

Make sure to include a little more tequila and liqueur than the other ingredients so that it doesn’t feel like you are drinking FiveAlive. It is delectable over ice but either way, this is a nice option for tequila cocktails to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

The Irish Car Bomb
Before we describe the making of this deadly Irish classic, be warned that too many of these can really put you over the edge. The Irish Car Bomb is a tremendously popular bar shot similar to the Jäger Bomb, but with an Irish twist. You will need a shot of Irish whiskey and a pint/glass of Guinness. Poor the beer all the way to the top and then drop the shot right in.

It’s customary to chug this drink shortly after the shot is dropped in the pint of Guinness, but it’s becoming more popular for people to skip the shot glass altogether and just mix everything, including Irish cream liqueur in a tall glass.

Keep in mind that this drink is not recommended. This is one shooter that is definitely not for the faint of heart and basically requires an iron stomach. Bottoms up!