Dear Life: Jan. 11, 2012

Dear Life,
Reading that posting about Christmas presents in Africa being a bad idea because “Muslims don’t celebrate Christmas” upset me. In addition to Christianity and Islam, there are also a variety of traditional African religions across the continent. Being against Christmas presents in Africa because “Muslims don’t celebrate Christmas” ignores practitioners of traditional African religions completely. Why is avoiding offending Muslims so much more important than avoiding offending them? Regardless, I think it’s a ridiculous thing to complain about, and I’m sure the people who receive these presents are grateful, whatever religion they are.
Sincerely,
Africa has many religions

Dear Life,
Thanks to Ginger and a Business Kid for the kind words of thanks. Respectful students and staff like yourselves make our job much more satisfying!
Sincerely,
Your friendly neighborhood custodial staff

Dear Life,
Life is beautiful.
Be an Optimist Prime, not a negatron.
Sincerely,
:)

Dear Life,
I’ve developed a Love-Hate relationship with Laurier’s small community. I love seeing familiar faces everywhere I go, but I’ve learned firsthand the destructive powers of rumors and gossip. I laughed at the people who would talk about me behind my back until a friend who knew me best asked me about my sexual preference because they heard false rumors. This showed me that even the people closest to me could listen to and believe the gossip. If your life is so boring that you need to invent lies about others, I really pity you. Grow up.
Sincerely,
Disappointed student

Dear Life,
This past weekend my roommate and I hiked a MOUNTAIN, crossed a RICKETY OLD BRIDGE, and went on a WILD SAFARI. Okay, maybe it wasn’t so much a mountain as it was a large hill or a rickety old bridge as it was a well constructed bridge that could bear a load of 5000 lbs., or a wild safari as it was Waterloo Park. O well, it was fun and that donkey was totally bad ass!
Sincerely,
How cool would it be if my life were an Indiana Jones movie?