COVID-19 Waterloo Region Update

As of Tuesday, Jan. 18, health officials logged 325 new COVID-19 cases in Waterloo region, bringing the total number of active cases to 4,093. 

There are currently 76 outbreaks in the region and no new deaths were reported. There are 36 people in the hospital with 17 of them being in an ICU.

Province-wide, there were 296 new COVID-19 hospitalizations on Tuesday, bringing the total to 4,183 COVID-19 patients in hospitals across the province and 580 in an ICU.  

Considering the changes in testing in Ontario, the province and region COVID-19 case counts are most likely underestimated. 

With the Omicron COVID-19 variant surging in January, wearing masks can protect against contracting the virus. 

Although N95 masks are effective as they create a seal that reduces respiration of 95 per cent of certain respiratory particles, they can be expensive and other masks still work to reduce the risk. 

The Public Health Agency of Canada’s website says “in general, while non-medical masks can help prevent the spread of COVID-19, medical masks and respirators provide better protection. No matter which type of mask you choose, proper fit is a key factor in its effectiveness.”

81.63 per cent of eligible residents over the age of five in Waterloo region are fully vaccinated and 87.46 per cent have received one dose.

Vaccinations are still being offered as protection against COVID-19, and first, second or third doses can be booked on the region’s vaccine booking site.

More info to come.