Come as you once were

(Photo by Jessica Dik)
(Photo by Jessica Dik)

I’m not quite sure who made up the phrase, “what goes around comes all the way back around,” but I’m sure they were referring to vintage fashion.

Fashion icons such as Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn and Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis have helped shape today’s world of fashion by drawing from their wardrobes, while putting a modern twist on the outfit. When I describe my personal style, I would say that my wardrobe is a union of vintage pieces marrying the styles of tomorrow.

The problem with vintage fashion is that it can look like you are wearing a costume, as the style can look tacky if done incorrectly.  Fret not, there are many modern twists that you can put on a vintage inspired outfit that will not only be chic and stylish, but also pay homage to the old age era of your choice.

I am a fan of Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, and when their fashions are intertwined, the result is an outfit that comes across as both alluring yet classy. It also greatly helps that they have influenced designers and fashion magazines like Vogue, which can modernize their wardrobe to fit in with today’s world of fashion couture.

When Monroe wasn’t wearing infamous white dresses that conveniently blew up in a gust of wind, she wore simple outfits that always had at least one statement piece or print. Wearing prints such as polka dots or gingham is a throwback to the fashion trends of the late 1940s and throughout the 1950s, a style that has helped to immortalize Monroe’s fashion. Stores such as Forever21 and Topshop offer an array of these patterns and prints. Whether you are looking for a polka dot dress or a cute pair of gingham pants, they should be tailored and fitted to our everyday style, avoiding any frumpiness or out-of-date appearances.

Shoes play an important role as well. I am personally a big fan of Mary Jane’s, a closed, low-cut heel with one or more straps across the insteps that have been a trend since the mid 1930s and 1940s. To keep these shoes modern, while still being faithful to their vintage origins, find a pair with bows or a chunky buckle.

No look is complete without accessories. Hepburn revolutionized pearls, as they give women elegance while also being undeniably chic. Also, in the immortal words of Ms. Monroe, “diamonds are a girl’s best friend.” If you can find pieces that marry pearls and diamonds, you are on the right track to vintage fashion.

Cat eye sunglasses are a trend that Monroe began at the peak of her career and have been a fad that hasn’t gone away. They come in a plethora of styles and colours and you can find them at a reasonable price at any local mall or thrift shop near you.

Don’t be afraid to shop at local vintage stores. You are not only limited to shopping in stores that the the mall has to offer. Some thrift shops will have the year the clothes were from marked down, depending on your preference of the era. You can modernize any period pieces based on how you choose to accessorize and how you do your makeup.

To complete the perfect vintage look, spray a dash of Chanel No.5, touch up your lipstick and you are ready to bring the fashion of the past into the future of tomorrow.