Breaking down the best smoothies in the KW region

Photo by Nicole Grossman

Over the past few years, I’ve grown to love smoothies. I don’t really mind making them for myself if I need to, but when it comes to purchasing my own, it’s best to find the one that’s worth it in terms of taste and price. 

Smoothies can be expensive depending on where you buy them from, so after a lot of taste testing and experimenting, I’ve narrowed down my favourite places to go to for a post-workout drink. 

For the sake of consistency, I’ve kept my choices in relatively the same size and flavour range. 

Booster Juice 

Regular Mango Hurricane

Mangos, strawberries, guava, passion fruit, peach, yogurt.

$6.45

Booster Juice is the reigning champion in terms of smoothie selection and will always be my go-to if I’m willing to spend a little extra. Although it isn’t the cheapest on this list, for the size and taste, it’s certainly worth it. Perfectly blended, creamy and smooth, the Mango Hurricane is just the right tropical drink choice that I’m never disappointed with buying. As well, they have a variety of boosters that you can add to your drink depending on your preference and need, giving it that little extra something that makes you feel like you’re actually consuming something healthy.

Yogen Früz 

Medium Tropical storm

No-fat frozen yogurt bar, mango, pineapple, banana, orange juice. 

$4.95

I love Yogen Früz. A cheaper option than Booster Juice, it does the job and does it well. Although their smoothies aren’t as thick or creamy, they still taste really good and don’t make you feel like you’re drinking blended grass just to get in some vitamins. They make their smoothies with frozen fruit that you can see them using, so you know what’s going into your drink right in front of you. If I’m feeling indulgent, I double up with their frozen yogurt, which is never a bad decision.   

McDonald’s 

Medium Strawberry Mango Pineapple Smoothie with yogurt

Ice, yogurt, real strawberry, pineapple, mango purée. 

$2.79

Honestly, you can’t go wrong with this price. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that McDonald’s smoothies are pretty good for the amount you pay for them and I’ve consistently bought one each time I go there. Although it won’t balance much out if you’re still getting a Big Mac and fries, it’s a decently healthy option that’s cheap and tasty. I would definitely consider this one to be the most reasonable choice overall in terms of cost and taste. 

Freshii 

Recoverii Smoothie

Mango, turmeric, pineapple, honey, banana, coconut milk

$5.99 

I’m a big fan of Freshii, but their prices hurt my wallet every time I go there and I have to make sure that what I’m buying is worth it. Their smoothies are fairly reasonable in terms of cost, but their taste isn’t something that I would hand over money for every time I walk in. This particular flavour combo is unique and it definitely won’t be for everyone, but it’s my top choice. It has a zingy taste that wakes you up, so it’s great if you need a bit of a boost in the morning or you’re getting over a cold. 

The Golden Mean Wellness  Shoppe & Healthcare Clinic

Self Defence Smoothie 

$7.99

Even though it’s the most expensive smoothie on the list, I really like this hidden little gem of a wellness store in Downtown Kitchener. 

The staff who work there are lovely, the store is beautiful and they have a wide variety of health products and other services available as well as their smoothies. 

This one is packed with vitamin C, has quite the kick and is designed to boost your immune system — which is perfect for flu season. I would recommend this choice if you’re fighting off a bug or you feel one coming on and you’re willing to pay a little extra to give your body some added TLC. 

Overall, each of these smoothie places is a respectable choice — they each have different pros and cons that make them more desirable depending on your order of preference. Booster Juice is great due to their taste and location right across the street from the university and McDonald’s has budget friendly options that don’t completely sacrifice taste and quality. 

When in doubt though, you can’t go wrong with making your own smoothie at home — the key is having fresh ingredients on hand and a powerful blender