Bingemans hosts drive thru light display

Photo by Luke Sarazin
Photo by Luke Sarazin

This year, Bingemans is hosting a two kilometre drive-thru light display in partnership with the Gift of Lights.

Located just off of Bingemans Centre Drive, the light show includes 30 animated and static light displays that consist of over one million twinkling lights. The Gift of Lights has arranged similar displays in throughout the states, however this is the first time that the company has come to Canada.

The company will also be hosting a very similar display in Ottawa.

“It’s the only light display like it in Southwestern Ontario,” said Bingemans marketing coordinator, Beverly Brenneman.

The trend of over the top light displays has become especially popular over the past few years with massive light displays popping up all over the U.S and Canada.

This event is being promoted for all occasions and encourages families and people of all ages to attend. According to Brenneman, preparations for the display have been ongoing for many months, while set up took about two weeks with a team of ten people.

The display is drive-thru only and offers no walking option. Bingemans has used the camping resort grounds to house the display.

Sudents and community members alike are looking forward to seeing the lights in person.

The community has become especially interested in the display, creating a positive turnout already.

“We’ve had a lot of really positive feedback. Everybody is really excited about the display. A lot of people are just really happy that it’s a new holiday experience that we’ve brought to the region,” said Brenneman.

“The light displays were really amazing to see. It was unlike anything else I’d seen before. It reminded me of watching all of those crazy light shows on TV with my parents when I was younger,” said fourth-year Wilfrid Laurier University psychology student, Olivia Miotto.

“I went with my family, but I would gladly do it again with friends. It really got me in the holiday spirit.”

The cost per car is $20 and tickets can be purchased online ahead of time.

Bingemans also offers a skip the line ticket for an additional five-dollars.

The display will be open until Jan. 1, with varying hours throughout the holiday season. The display goes as late as 10:00 p.m. on certain days, so that community members can experience the full effect of the lights.

“Not with regards of Gift of Lights, but for next year, the years after that we will be adding to our holiday festivities and having more programs,” said Brenneman.

A portion of the ticket sales will be going towards local charities including United Way of Kitchener Waterloo & Area, Grand River Hospital Foundation and Kids Ability Foundation.