Behind the Hawk: Mike Montoya

Mike Montoya has been a Laurier Golden Hawk for three years.

During these three years he has been waiting patiently for his opportunity to show the football team what he can do.

That time is now; so far he has taken the opportunity and, ran with it.

So far in his first season as the starting running back for the men’s football team, Montoya has been a beast.

The native of Burlington, Ontario has four TDs in just three games and has rushed for 409 yards, averaging 7.18 yards a carry.

Montoya has also added a few receptions to his stat sheet, making him a very versatile player and a vital part of the offence.

His ability to do it all may be why he compares himself to Jacksonville Jaguars’ running back, Maurice Jones-Drew.

In talking to Montoya, it is clear that his older brother and former Golden Hawk Dave played a big role in his football career.

“My big brother Dave was my main influence for getting into football,” said Montoya.

“I saw how much fun he was having with the sport and I felt that I wanted to play such a fun sport as well.”

Dave Montoya played defensive end for the Golden Hawks from 2003-2006, playing on the 2005 Vanier Cup winning team, and compiling a total of 61 tackles and 12 sacks over his career.

He also played a large role in his younger brother’s decision to come at Laurier.

“I chose Laurier also because my big brother had had a lot of success here and I felt I wanted to continue the winning tradition,” said Montoya.

The winning tradition is something that Montoya has a very simple view on.

“My expectations are nothing less than a Vanier Cup,” he said. “

Here at Laurier I am blessed to be surrounded by such talented players. There is no school in this country as lucky as us to be blessed with the players we have. A few bounces need to come our way, but if we believe in ourselves and if the school believes, it will happen.”

Off the field, Montoya enjoys spending time with his family and friends and is also a big fan of the Madden franchise of video games, which he gives some credit for his love of football.

However, even when he isn’t on the field, his mind is never too far away from the game; he stays sharp by training constantly.

Montoya is already well on his way to a very impressive first season as a starter, and with the team losing quarterback Luke Thompson to injury on Saturday, expect the powerful running back’s production to only increase.