Men’s lacrosse club hosts ‘Lax Bash’

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks’ men’s lacrosse club played host to the Great Canadian Lax Bash this past weekend at University Stadium.

Laurier hosted the set of three games in an effort to raise money for their non-sanctioned varsity team, as well as to draw attention to the sport of lacrosse and its lack of funding.

“The event went really well,” commented men’s lacrosse head coach Grant Phillips.

“It was a beautiful day and we came out with a win.”

The Hawks defeated Laurentian by a score of 14-8.

Brock beat out Guleph 10-9 and McMaster edged Western 9-8 in triple overtime.

Connor O’Byrnie was the star on the field for the Laurier Golden Hawks picking up six points, five of which were goals.

Team captain Glen Bryn added two goals and three assists in the Hawks’ win.

Rookies Jamie Elliot, Sean Leaver and Brad Sztore all had exceptional performances.

“We improved drastically from last year,” said Phillips.

“Our first year incoming players are doing really well so far.”

“We really enabled ourselves to be a team this year. We learned to turn plays and work together instead of as individuals.”

Despite the success of the event, the Hawks’ lacrosse club didn’t generate the funds they anticipated.

“We didn’t exactly get the crowds or profits we were hoping for,” said Phillips.

“I’d say we got about 400 people all day, compared to the East who draw upwards of 500 for the championship game alone.”

“The people that were there loved it though,” he added.

“Everyone had fun, and it was a really positive atmosphere.”

Looking to the future, McMaster has expressed interest in hosting the event next year, and Laurier looks to bring it back to home turf within the next couple years.

“We are happy the league is moving forward to develop this event,” said Phillips.

“Anytime you start something new like this you take on a risk.

“But it was great – the university backed us up, and we can only hope it gets even bigger next year.”